[RDD] Records dropping audio

Michael mbarnes at srnradio.com
Fri Sep 5 11:28:12 EDT 2008

The server is actually a custom built machine intended to be the primary
server in a Rivendell network with at least 8 or more workstations.  I
believe the motherboards are all ASUS with Intel chipsets.
Here's the CPU details:
rduser at TVSRV:~> cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 4
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 3000.395
cache size      : 2048 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 1
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm
constant_tsc up pni monitor ds_cpl est cid cx16 xtpr
bogomips        : 6005.65

There are two nearly identical workstations, also custom built for
Rivendell, that are doing the recordings.  Each workstation is running
in stand-alone mode, that is, each is running their own local MySQL
database.  The /var/snd folder on each machine is an nfs mount to the
server. (fstab:TVSRV.srn.loc:/var/snd/TV1      /var/snd nfs
defaults              0 0)

Now I have another system, very similar layout, same custom built
specifically for Rivendell equipment.  At one time, it had ten+
workstations and often did 8+ simultaneous timed recordings.  Right now,
it has one Rivendell workstation often running four simultaneous records
plus over four thousand events in RDCatch.  The server also is running
Windows XP on VMWare, it is running MySQL not only for Rivendell, but
for Call Commander as well. I've never heard a complaint on the audio
quality of any recording.

I missed Cindy McCain's speech last night, so I pulled it off the server
I'm having an issue with.  The recording was so bad I could not listen
to it because it dropped so much audio.

One thing I have noticed.  When I run cat /proc/cpuinfo on all the
various machines, which all have identical processors (supposedly)  I
only see data for processor 0 on the problem server, while I see data
for both processor 0 and 1 on the others.

Here's what uname -a tells me:
Linux TVSRV 2.6.18.2-34-default #1 SMP Mon Nov 27 11:46:27 UTC 2006 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Linux TV1 2.6.18.2-34-default #1 SMP Mon Nov 27 11:46:27 UTC 2006 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Linux TV2 2.6.18.2-34-default #1 SMP Mon Nov 27 11:46:27 UTC 2006 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Linux rdserv 2.6.13-15.8-smp #1 SMP Tue Feb 7 11:07:24 UTC 2006 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Linux rdaux 2.6.13-15.15-smp #1 SMP Mon Feb 26 14:11:33 UTC 2007 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

TVSRV is the one I'm having problems with.  Again, TV1 and TV2 are
running Delta 1010LT audio cards, while the rdaux machine is running an
ASI5041 audio card.
The rdserv server is using an Adaptec RAID card while TVSRV is using a
3Ware RAID card.

The audio problem is missing audio.  There are not gaps or silences,
just missing words.  For example "He went to there he majored moved to
Wyoming." was recorded, but "He went to Washington University. While
there he majored in economics. He later moved to Wyoming." was the
actual speech.  You can see how hard that is to follow.  This happens
durning all ten recordings, five on each of the workstations.

I see now I need to do whatever to get both processors running on TVSRV.
Is that a BIOS setting?  Then I need to figure out the missing pieces of
audio.

Can this be from
1- Lack of processor in TVSRV?
2- Too much for the Delta Audio card to handle?
3- Too much reading and writing to the RAID on TVSRV?

Here's an interesting question.  Using an ASI5042, which has four stereo
analog inputs and eight record stream outputs to the PCI bus, is it
possible to configure this card with Rivendell as eight mono inputs
instead of four stereo?

Thanks for any help, suggestions, comments, etc.

Michael