[RDD] Starting Over

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Mon Mar 10 22:04:49 EDT 2008

On Monday 10 March 2008 21:14:31 Michael Barnes wrote:
> Running ps ax shows no instance of jack running.  Trying jack_lsp says
> no jack server running.  From the command line
>
> $ jackd -R -d alsa -d hw:0 -r 48000

OK, which user is this?

> It gives all the usual startup stuff and runs.  I get appropriate
> response from jack_lsp and other tests.  I can run it with or without
> the -R for realtime use.  Either way it works from command line.  But,
> when I start the rivendell daemons, it apparently starts then stops.
> A jackd.pid file is created with a pid number, but that pid does not
> show up in ps ax.
>
> I'm sure I am missing something simple I have not set someplace.  I
> just can't find (or remember) it.  I just did all this last week and
> that went fine (except for the distorted audio).
>
> The part that worries me is the report from qtjackctl
>
> "cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread
> -1210370368, from thread -1210370368] (1: Operation not permitted)
> cannot create engine"

Which user is running qjackctl?

Did you try unselecting realtime in qjackclt setup?

As a stupid test, what happens if you run qjackctl as root and try starting?

Does google help?:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22cannot+use+real-time+scheduling%22+%22cannot+create+engine%22&btnG=Google+Search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cannot+use+real-time+scheduling+%28FIFO+at+priority+10%29+%5Bfor+thread++%5D+%281%3A+Operation+not+permitted%29++cannot+create+engine&btnG=Search

> Michael