[RDD] Remote Client Access

Kira Mead pirate at albanyis.com.au
Mon Mar 3 00:13:02 EST 2008

Hi all,

Using the Remote Client Access instructions on the Rivendell Wiki, I'm part of the way there, but need some help.
I have a functioning Rivendell system on Suse 10, and I'm trying to get RDLogEdit on Windoze 2000 to share mysql.
I can ping OK from both machines.  All firewalls are off.
In testing, the command netstat -an|grep 3306 results in

#tcp  0   0 0.0.0.0:3306      0.0.0.0:*  LISTEN

On the Windoze machine, the command telnet 10.1.1.99 3306 results in ...
4
  4.1.13?p|Bq4K\n,?7bhfIu4A*N+*

>From the wiki, I gather these results are OK.

Things I'm confused about:
First configure Rivendell on the workstation to talk to the server.

  a.. $EDIT /etc/rd.conf
  b.. In the [mySQL] section, set the Hostname to the name of the server configured above.
If I set any hostname other than localhost, mysql stops working.  How do I set localhost and a remote host name?

By host name, does  that mean the Windoze login name, or the name of the machine itself?

Any tricks I need to know, that aren't in the wiki article?

Thanks

Warren Mead