[RDD] Listen to remote audio over ssh

Kevin Miller atftb2 at alaska.net
Thu Aug 14 12:51:48 EDT 2008

drew Roberts wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 August 2008 14:21:47 Kevin Miller wrote:
>> drew Roberts wrote:

>>> try:
>>>
>>> ssh user at remotehost "cat music.wav" | play -t wav -
>> Can you explain that command to me?
>
> Perhaps... ~;-)
>
>> That is, the part after the pipe?
>> Is "play" a binary that lives somewhere?
>
> Play is a part of sox here I think.

So it is - I should have read the original post closer.  Turns out
Michael mentioned that.  On any other group I'd have been roasted for
that - gotta love the friendliness of this bunch.

>> I don't have it no my system
>> here at work (Debian).
>
> I just installed sox on a debian system that did not have play and it does
> after apt-get install sox - so it is a part of sox on debian for sure.
>
>> Maybe it's on my SUSE box at home.  What does
>> the "-" do?
>
> So:
>
> play -t wav somefile.wav
>
> tells sox to sent the somefile.wav to the soundcard
> the -t tells sox that the file is a wav file which is not needed for
> somefile.wav but as we just saw is needed for -
>
> the - basically tells sox>
>> Thanks...
>>
>> ...Kevin
>
> all the best,
>
> drew

  that the file to play is from the pipe...

> For instance, try:
>
> ls | vi -
>
> hope this helps.

It does indeed.  And doing that w/o the "-" easily exemplifies the
difference.

Thanks to all that replied.  Interesting behavior - learn something knew
every day!

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller