[RDD] ./configure -> checking correct functioning of Qt installation... failure

John Brier jbrier at redhat.com
Mon Aug 11 00:58:39 EDT 2008

Fedora 9.
I have figured out how to get past this one before, twice even but
lately it escapes me. After a weekend of trying on my own I need some
pointers.

> checking for Qt... yes:
>     QT_CXXFLAGS=-I/usr/lib/qt-3.3/include -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT
>     QT_DIR=/usr/lib/qt-3.3
>     QT_LIBS=-L/usr/lib/qt-3.3/lib -lqt-mt  -lSM -lICE  -lX11 -lXext
> -lXmu -lXt -lXi
>     QT_BIN=/usr/lib/qt-3.3/bin
>     QT_UIC=/usr/lib/qt-3.3/bin/uic
>     QT_MOC=/usr/lib/qt-3.3/bin/moc
> checking correct functioning of Qt installation... failure
> configure: error: Failed to find matching components of a complete
>                   Qt installation. Try using more options,
>                   see ./configure --help.
> $ rpm -qa | grep -i qt
> qt-x11-4.3.5-2.fc9.i386
> avahi-qt3-0.6.22-10.fc9.i386
> qt3-MySQL-3.3.8b-14.fc9.i386
> qt-4.3.5-2.fc9.i386
> qt3-3.3.8b-14.fc9.i386
> qt3-devel-3.3.8b-14.fc9.i386
> qt-devel-4.3.5-2.fc9.i386
> # ls /usr/lib/qt-3.3/
> bin  include  lib  mkspecs  phrasebooks  plugins  translations
> $ echo $QTDIR
> /usr/lib/qt-3.3
> # rpm -V qt3 qt3-devel qt3-MySQL qt qt-devel qt-x11 avahi-qt3
> [root at u3s ~]#

I have tried manually specifying the locations of the Qt directories,
but it doesn't make much difference. One odd behavior:

If I remove qt3-devel with rpm -e qt3-devel and run ./configure it fails:
checking for Qt... no
configure: error: *** Qt toolkit not found, unable to continue ***

If I manually specify the Qt dir it gets past that failure:

> $ ./configure --with-Qt-dir=/usr/lib/qt-3.3
> checking for Qt... yes:
>     QT_CXXFLAGS=-I/usr/lib/qt-3.3/include -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT
>     QT_DIR=/usr/lib/qt-3.3
>     QT_LIBS=-L/usr/lib/qt-3.3/lib -lqt-mt  -lSM -lICE  -lX11 -lXext
> -lXmu -lXt -lXi
>     QT_BIN=/usr/lib/qt-3.3/bin
>     QT_UIC=
>     QT_MOC=/usr/lib/qt-3.3/bin/moc
> checking correct functioning of Qt installation... failure
> configure: error: Failed to find matching components of a complete
>                   Qt installation. Try using more options,
>                   see ./configure --help.

That doesn't make sense to me.. qt3 is still there, just not qt3-devel.

The killer is I have another system where I already got past this error.
It has the same qt packages installed. LESS, actually. and it configures
fine. I use it to build RPMS, but I need to be able to reproduce this to
build proper RPMs with a BuildRequires for the Fedora Project.. thus my
problem. I thought it was something with ldconfig but that seems to be
the same across both systems.

> # cat /etc/ld.so.conf
> include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
>  cat /etc/ld.so.conf.d/qt-i386.conf
> /usr/lib/qt-3.3/lib

When I first encountered the problem I remember getting past it slowly,
uic/moc were used to compile some test qt programs, one worked, and the
rest failed, then i changed something else and two worked and one
failed, and finally i got through all those simple test programs. I went
back and looked at the configure script but I'm not advanced enough to
really understand what is going on.

Hopefully someone can remind me. The great thing is I have one F9 system
which configures properly, and one which doesn't.. so if there are other
things I can compare please let me know. I have already compared
installed packages. I installed the group "Development Libraries" and
"Development Tools"  on both. My working F9 system has about 1300
packages while the non working system has 1168. I've diffed them and
nothing obvious to me is standing out as something I need on one but not
the other.

Here are the rpm -qa output from the working system and the not working
system.

http://jimbrier.com/rpm-qa.notwork.sorted.txt
http://jimbrier.com/rpm-qa.works.sorted.txt

John Brier