[RDD] Absolute bottom-of-barrel hardware

Dan Mills dmills at exponent.myzen.co.uk
Sat Aug 9 13:03:48 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 12:21 -0400, Alan Peterson wrote:
> Hello group. I don't want to pester Fred with this as he's a LITTLE
> busy right now, but ...
>
> ...now that we are officially into Ver 1.0.x of Rivendell, does anyone
> know the absolute, drop-dead, barest basic PC hardware capable of
> reliably running the current incarnation of the suite?  I believe
> earlier web postings suggested a P-III 850 MHz, available for a
> laughable $59.95 these days at the used computer store down the
> street. Things HAD to have changed by now.
>
> What can anyone tell me?

I am not actually sure just how low you can go as it depends on quite a
few factors...

Are you using the resampler to allow a 48K only card to play a 44.1K
library? That adds quite a lot of overhead.

I would think that if anything has increased significantly, it is likely
to be the ram requirement for reliable operation.

That said, a low end PIV is likely a sane sort of choice, with somewhere
in the 256 - 512 MB ram region depending on exactly what else you are
running, apart from anything else it will feel a lot more responsive.

Also remember that such machines tend to have small hard drives, so you
would likely be running with an external database and audio store.

Might be interesting to see if it will still go in a PIII, but it is
probably not something I would put on air.

Regards, Dan.