[RDD] Fw: Fw: Rivendell Recovery

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Aug 6 09:51:26 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 01:03:27PM -0400, mike at wvmcfm.com wrote:
> It seems to me there is a lot that is obvious in the wiki's to people who
> are familiar with linux, and Rivendell that isn't obvious to us noobs. For
> me, I am in fact "in process"  in creating just such a page, if for no other
> reason than for my own documentation so I can install and re-install
> Rivendell.
>
> Please feel free to give it a look. It isn't finished yet, and I am sure
> there is a lot there that is obvious to most of you that wasn't obvious to
> me. Also I am sure there are better and more secure ways of getting it
> installed than what is there, but for me, the important thing was to be able
> to get it working.
>
> http://www.wvmcfm.com/Rivendell.html

While your work is appreciated, I'd like to make a suggestion:

It might be more useful to the community as a whole if you rolled that
information *back* into the wiki at tryphon, fixing mistakes, or adding
pages to expand on things that aren't easy to understand, and linking
them from passages in the pages that already exist.

The advantage of having the wiki at tryphon is that it provides one
place for people to look to find out what to do.  The reason a wiki was
chosen is that it reduces the barrier to entry for contributors just
about as far as possible.

Best of luck, and I'll probably be joining you in the puppy pile next
week; I'm going to try an install myself.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Josef Stalin)