[RDD] rdadmin seg faults

Dan Mills dmills at exponent.myzen.co.uk
Sun Nov 18 19:11:32 EST 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-18 at 18:47 -0500, John Brier wrote:
> Threads: 2  Questions: 3807354  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 23  Flush
> tables: 1  Open tables: 17  Queries per second avg: 41.729
> mysql> show tables from rivendell;
> Empty set (0.00 sec)
>
> rd.conf:
> http://pastebin.ca/781682
>
> I Initially created a mysql user for rivendell using this:
> mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON rivendell.* TO 'rduser'@'localhost'
> IDENTIFIED BY 'some_pass' WITH GRANT OPTION;

That's the problem (probably)!
You don't need to do DBA type stuff in the first instance, remove rduser
from mysql and drop the Rivendell DB (if it exists), then just run
rdadmin.

If rdadmin finds rduser it assumes incorrectly that there is a DB for it
to update, if it doesn't, it just asks you for the DBA username and
password then goes and sets everything up (I must fix that).

> I used useradd to make a rivendell user and passwd to set the password.

Ok, that sets up a unix account (that password is not used by RD at all,
once your user is logged in).

> One mistake I think I made was the first application I ran was
> /etc/init.d/rivendell BEFORE i ever ran rdadmin..

Shouldn't really matter, just stop it.
/etc/init.d/rivendell stop

> One thing of interest is if I change the [mySQL] entries in rd.conf to
> a user/pass that is wrong it will prompt me for an administrator
> account on mysql but I can enter the correct information "root" even
> and it does not authenticate.

Yea, it is trying to create the mysql user and database under your
alternate name/password pair and is asking for the DBA credentials to
allow it to set things up.

Just out of interest, where is this create rduser in the DB by hand
documented (So that I can kill it)? I keep seeing people doing this and
it causes nothing but pain (rdadmin with a freshly installed mysql does
just fine on its own, you don't need to do obscure things at the mysql
prompt).

> One more thing unrelated.. checking out from CVS, in the
> appnote0004.pdf there is a typo:
>
> cvs ­d :pserver:cvs at cvs.rivendellaudio.org:/home/cvs/cvsroot login
> cvs ­-d :pserver:cvs at cvs.rivendellaudio.org/home/cvs/cvsroot co libradio
> cvs ­-d :pserver:cvs at cvs.rivendellaudio.org/home/cvs/cvsroot co librhpi
> cvs ­-d :pserver:cvs at cvs.rivendellaudio.org/home/cvs/cvsroot co rivendell

You sure you want to play with the development tree? It tends to be of
variable reliability!

> Notice the lack of colons ":" in between the domain name and the
> path.. I honestly messed around with this for 30 minutes before I got
> it right.. and I still don't know how I did it.. Which way is it?

With colons!

Libradio and librhpi are now redundant (they were rolled into the main
rivendell tree a month back).

Regards, Dan.