[RDD] Getting M-Audio Delta 1010 to work

Dan Mills dmills at exponent.myzen.co.uk
Sat Nov 17 21:25:23 EST 2007

On Sat, 2007-11-17 at 17:11 -0800, Michael McManus wrote:
> I've since been able to acquire a brand new Dell workstation that is
> destined to be a Rivendell-only box. Before I start cluttering it up
> though, I want to make sure that I can get the soundcard properly
> functioning.

Makes sense.

> I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) and have an M-Audio Delta 1010
> Installed. JACK appears to see the card and can start-up. However when
> I test the sound card using the Ubuntu "Sound" Preference application
> I can only successfully test playback; every time I try to test
> "capture" I get the same error that tells me that gconf is failing to
> construct a pipe.

Sounds like a buggy configuration application to me, wouldn't be the
first time, the sound card is almost certainly fine.
Fire up qjackctl, start jack then patch the inputs to the outputs, if it
can be made to pass audio then it works.

> I get the same error when trying to test the Intel
> pre-installed sound card. So as far as I can tell this is system error
> or config file problem somewhere. But as I'm new to Sound under Linux
> this is mostly new to me.

Very likely a buggy "Sound preferences" thingummy, I would ignore it.

You will want a programme called "Envy24control" to control the
soundcard, but I would ignore jack for rivendell use unless you have a
pressing reason to want to use it. Most people have better luck going
for a straightforward direct ALSA based setup.

To be honest, the less the desktop environment has to do with your
precious on air cards, the happier you will be.

> A few other general questions. What is the best and most affordable
> switcher to get that can interface with Rivendell? Is there a
> Broadcast Tools model? Does anything interface via USB or is it all
> GPIO?

Number of inputs, outputs? Do you need switch take with gain, of is a
simple routing matrix sufficient?

Plenty of the Broadcast tools stuff is supported:
Broadcast Tools 10x1 Audio Switcher
Broadcast Tools 16x1 Audio Switcher
Broadcast Tools 16x2 Audio Switcher
Broadcast Tools 8x2 Audio Switcher
Broadcast Tools SS 8.2 Audio Switcher
Broadcast Tools SS 12.4 Audio Switcher
Broadcast Tools SS 16.4 Audio Switcher
Broadcast Tools ACS 8.2 Audio Control Switcher
Broadcast Tools SS 4.2 Audio Switcher

In addition to systems from SAS, Logitek, and others.

Most things are old school RS232 serial, with some of the sophisticated
stuff talking TCP/IP and some reports of people hacking up GPI devices
using USB HID class things (joysticks and game pads!).

> None of them are happy with their automation set-up.
> It seems like it would be a good idea to get everyone set-up with
> Rivendell, but we need somewhere to start.

In my experience, being unhappy with your automation is the natural
state of all radio stations everywhere and it pretty much does NOT
matter what particular system you use.

Not I suspect exactly local, but Brooks Whiteford at Seahawk radio has
probably got as much experience as anyone in running a medium sized RD
deployment in a college radio context (He went from nothing to 7
deployed workstations in the same week he was training DJs, quite mad).

Search the archives of rivendell-prog for some of the 'interesting'
times he had getting set up, but we did get there in the end!

Regards, Dan.