[RDD] sending serial out - delays

Gavin Stephens gstephens at orcon.net.nz
Sat Nov 17 07:42:43 EST 2007

Okay so far no go.

I've got one Rivendell box sending serial outputs, but I can't get the
second Rivendell box to listen and act.

I'm using a macro cart on the first Rivendell box to "SO serial0 TEST!" and
on the second Rivendell box I'm using a macro cart "SI serial0 900002
TEST!".

I make sure the macro cart on the second box to insert a serial trap has
been fired off in RDAirPlay. Then I go and fire the serial out cart on the
first Rivendell PC.

But, the second Rivendell PC does nothing. I thought that's all I had to do
to get it listening on a serial port and respond to the TEST string to start
a cart?

The serial ports are definately going. As I can attach a modem to the serial
ports and SO some strings out it that make the modems TX/RX lights flick
away with DTR on. I'm using a working null modem cable between the PC's so
now I'm stumped.

I can't find much information on using GPI and GPO generic serial setups. I
thought perhaps this does the same thing in a more clear fashion or less
delayed executing from within RDAirPlay.

Or am I expecting the serial port in Rivendell to do something it's not
sopose to?

Thanks for any ideas of where I'm going wrong.

Cheers,
Gavin.