[RDD] Getting M-Audio Delta 1010 to work

Michael McManus mcmanusm at reed.edu
Sat Nov 17 20:11:15 EST 2007

Hi There,

I wrote a few months back, while I was trying to get Rivendell
compiled on an old PPC. I eventually gave that up after it couldn't
handle one more reboot.

I've since been able to acquire a brand new Dell workstation that is
destined to be a Rivendell-only box. Before I start cluttering it up
though, I want to make sure that I can get the soundcard properly
functioning.

I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) and have an M-Audio Delta 1010
Installed. JACK appears to see the card and can start-up. However when
I test the sound card using the Ubuntu "Sound" Preference application
I can only successfully test playback; every time I try to test
"capture" I get the same error that tells me that gconf is failing to
construct a pipe. I get the same error when trying to test the Intel
pre-installed sound card. So as far as I can tell this is system error
or config file problem somewhere. But as I'm new to Sound under Linux
this is mostly new to me.

A few other general questions. What is the best and most affordable
switcher to get that can interface with Rivendell? Is there a
Broadcast Tools model? Does anything interface via USB or is it all
GPIO?

Also, are there any Rivendell users in Portland, OR? I run a college
station here in town and just met with most of the other major college
stations today. None of them are happy with their automation set-up.
It seems like it would be a good idea to get everyone set-up with
Rivendell, but we need somewhere to start.

Thanks for the help!

All the Best,
Michael