[RDD] sending serial out - delays

Gavin Stephens gstephens at orcon.net.nz
Sun Nov 11 08:23:17 EST 2007

Thanks for the reply Robert.

My thoughts are live programming in mind rather than voice tracked.

Otherwise you're quite right, It would certainly be easier to run two
different programmes from a PC for each.

With live programming in mind, I thought it would have been rather good to
just have a second PC replacing the ID's bound for the other TX, perhaps
even using RDCatch instead of RDAirPlay on the second PC.

I mentioned the option of programming provided for another studio as I'd
like to see Rivendell eventually be used to replace ID's bound for streamed
programming to another station aswell with their legal ID's instead.

The other solution I've thought of is creating a second worth of silence at
the start of the ID on the main Rivendell programme PC. Then I'd just have
near the end of the hour, a short promo cold voiced, then fire a cart
containing a serial output marcro to switch audio off to the second PC,
another serial string to tell RDCatch to start on the other PC, followed by
a 1/2 second audio cart before it moves on to the next item. This gives
enough time for a serial command to start the second Rivendell box to run
it's ID. I don't like padding things out with silent carts though.

I thought I'd ask though about the serial out delays with large logs and
timing issues of starting the next song before sending the serial string
since I don't know Rivendell that well (I've only been playing with it for a
week or so in my spare time) in the hope I'm missing something. This is
perhaps how Rivendell just handles non audio events in the log so they
aren't in sync or waited for by the audio engine.

Unless the GPIO generic serial side of RDAdmin is for this purpose, to
handle macro carts for this more time critically?

Thanks,
Gavin.