[RDD] sending serial out - delays

Gavin Stephens gstephens at orcon.net.nz
Tue Nov 6 16:42:52 EST 2007

Firstly, thanks guys for the time in giving this a quick read.

Secondly thank you to those who have already read my other emails and sent me replies. I've learnt a lot from the few who have more than kindly shown time to reply to my emails and your time spent replying is very appreciated.

I've managed to get the serial ouput going in Rivendell in the hope I can use a second Rivendell PC for replacing ID's to either 1 another studio, or 2 a different LPFM transmitter. When I mean LPFM in New Zealand I don't mean 100W USA LPFM stations, 0.5W 25KM range license free LPFM over here.

The thing I'm trying to figure out though, is that if I load a log of an entire days music with a macro cart timed to start next each hour with a 'play' transition (so as to wait for all audio to stop before executing), how it's possible to make a serial string get out the serial port faster than the next song starting in RDAirPlay?

This is what I'd like to do. Rivendell PC1 each hour waits until song finishes, sends serial out to start Rivendell PC2. Rivendell PC2 plays a legal ID and Rivendell PC1 plays it's own legal ID. Then it's back to Rivendell PC1's usual programme.

Here's where I'm having a slight problem. If I only have the macro cart on Rivendell PC1 with an SO line in it loaded in RDAirPlay with only a few other audio items in the log, the execution of the macro cart seems quite fast and the data gets out the serial port pretty fast aswell. However, if I have a long log loaded (a days worth) the next audio item in the log starts before the macro cart with a serial output gets the chance to send the data out the serial port of the PC. I think the serial output is being held back while RDAirPlay refreshes the log or something to that effect.

Is there any better way to known for sure that any macro carts with serial outs will execute in order of it's placement in the log, or make sure that serial out macro carts get data out the serial port before continuing with the next cart?

Thanks for any ideas.

Gavin.