[RDD] Sorry slightly off-topic

Gavin Stephens gstephens at orcon.net.nz
Fri Nov 2 04:10:49 EDT 2007

> On Thursday 01 November 2007 09:26, Gavin Stephens wrote:
> > Here's a question, is all the library information on carts etc... all
> > stored in that database path aswell?
>
> Yes, *everything* in RD (with the exception of the actual .wav files and
> '/etc/rd.conf') lives in the database.
>

> > If not I've lost it, if so, would the
> > best option for me be to find and download mysql 5.0.26 to match the
> > database folder it orginally came from in SUSE 10.2, or is there a way I
> > can somehow import the 5.0.26 database in to mysql 4.1.1.3?
>
> Basically, anything in that '/var/lib/mysql/' directory should be treated
as
> 'private' to MySQL --i.e. it's a 'black box' as far as the rest of the
world
> is concerned.  While it may be possible to safely copy that data directly
> between certain versions of MySQL, that really is a question of the
internal
> implementation of those MySQL versions.  Such questions would be better
> directed to one of the MySQL support fora.
>
> The 'officially supported' way to get data into/out of those files is
through
> MySQL itself, by means of the 'Backup Database' and 'Restore Database'
> functions in RDAdmin.  Those data backups are simply SQL dumps of the
> database structure and contents, and as such are designed to be portable
> between different MySQL versions.

I'll have to go back and learn some more on this. I thought the *.sql backup
from RDAdmin would include all the details of the carts in the backup.
However when I opened the *.sql backup file saved to the desktop it was only
a page full of sql looking code/settings and that's all it exported.

That's why I ended up just copying the entire folder where all the database
was stored. I see there doesn't appear to be an easy backup for dummies way
to do a backup of the actual cart information etc... without knowing sql
more.

Gavin.