[RDD] Sorry slightly off-topic

Timothy Baldridge tbaldridge at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 08:34:34 EDT 2007

Or from the commandline,

to Backup:

mysqldump -u username -p databasename >> somefile.sql

and to put it all back:
cat somefile.sql | mysql -u username -p databasename

Did this just the other day when moving from 10.3alpha to 10.3 and it
worked great.

Timothy

On 11/2/07, Fred Gleason <fredg at paravelsystems.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 01 November 2007 09:26, Gavin Stephens wrote:
> > Here's a question, is all the library information on carts etc... all
> > stored in that database path aswell?
>
> Yes, *everything* in RD (with the exception of the actual .wav files and
> '/etc/rd.conf') lives in the database.
>

> > If not I've lost it, if so, would the
> > best option for me be to find and download mysql 5.0.26 to match the
> > database folder it orginally came from in SUSE 10.2, or is there a way I
> > can somehow import the 5.0.26 database in to mysql 4.1.1.3?
>
> Basically, anything in that '/var/lib/mysql/' directory should be treated as
> 'private' to MySQL --i.e. it's a 'black box' as far as the rest of the world
> is concerned.  While it may be possible to safely copy that data directly
> between certain versions of MySQL, that really is a question of the internal
> implementation of those MySQL versions.  Such questions would be better
> directed to one of the MySQL support fora.
>
> The 'officially supported' way to get data into/out of those files is through
> MySQL itself, by means of the 'Backup Database' and 'Restore Database'
> functions in RDAdmin.  Those data backups are simply SQL dumps of the
> database structure and contents, and as such are designed to be portable
> between different MySQL versions.
>
> Cheers!
>

> |-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
> | Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. |               Chief Developer               |
> |                           |               Paravel Systems               |
> | Baker's First Law of Federal Geometry:                                  |
> |         A block grant is a solid mass of money surrounded on all sides  |
> | by governors.                                                           |

If you put tomfoolery into a computer, nothing comes out but
tomfoolery. But this tomfoolery, having passed through a very
expensive machine, is somehow ennobled and no one dares criticize it.
(Pierre Gallois)