[RDD] Distortion: the plot thickens

Erik Anderson subscribed at hardwaremonkey.com
Wed May 23 13:00:25 EDT 2007

Bill Smith wrote:
> I can only guess, but is it possible there are two applications competing
> for the sound card?  Haven't any idea how to begin to look for them, other
> than to go into YaST->System->runlevel and turn off any resident sound
> utilities.
I am just an rd user, not a developer. But from personal experience, I
would tend to agree with Bill. If there is not something else competing
for the sound card, what about cpu/hd resources? I think most of my
strange problems have been overcome by trying to figure out what else
the machine /might /be doing at that time, and either eliminating or
delaying tasks. I have the machine doing almost nothing. Just RD. But,
it seems like some of those rd exports can really slow the machine down.
The realtime settings never affected anything for me.

I too am on SuSE 10.2. One thing I have observed is that there seems to
be a bunch of harddrive access when it seems like the computer is in a
deeper sleep state (although I never permit it to sleep, or screen
savers, or power saving modes). I have suspected that it is beagle, but
have the impression that uninstalling beagle may create a bigger
disaster. Is it possible that you too have purely a resource issue?

Just a guess.