[RDD] Distortion: the plot thickens

Rob Landry 41001140 at interpring.com
Wed May 23 00:23:25 EDT 2007

I decided not to try Jack; I just replaced the cound card, upgraded to the
current Rivendell .rpms, and ran the machine on my desk for 4 days. It ran
perfectly on my desk, so I assumed the problem must have been the sound
card. This morning I took the machine back to the station and put it back
on the air.

Just now, while building an identical machine for another station, I vnc'd
to the other machine to check some of its settings in rdadmin. I noticed
that I had the IP address set wrong under "Manage hosts", so I changed it.
I wasn't sure the setting would take without restarting Rivendell, so I
quit rdairplay, su'd to root, and executed /etc/init.d/rivendell stop and
then /etc/init.d/rivendell start.

When I restarted rdairplay, I found the level of the audio coming from the
machine had dropped about 15 dB! I checked alsamixer, but it showed the
master and pcm levels set exactly where I had left them.

Not sure what to do now, I quit rdairplay once again, su'd to root, and
rebooted the machine. When rdairplay started again the level was still
ridiculously low. And then... the distortion came back!

Restarting the Rivendell daemons got rid of the distortion, but my audio
level is still low.

The distortion (and, in all likelihood, the level problem) seems to be
connected to caed and ALSA. But isn't my caed the same as your caed? Isn't
my ALSA the same as your ALSA? Yet y'all don't seem to have any problem.

One final test: I shut down the Rivendell daemons, launched xmms, and
played the same file that Rivendell had just played. The level was still
low, but fading the xmms volume control down and up brought it back up.

Restarting the daemons made the level go down again, so I launched xmms
while rdairplay was running and tried moving the xmms volume control. It
behaved like a dirty potentiometer, causing the level to crackle up
and down. Eventually I managed to get the level back up, but in the words
of C3PO, this asteroid is not entirely stable.

Am I looking at a SuSE 10.2 bug? Should I downgrade to 10.0? What version
of ALSA do y'all run?

Rob